Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Scale Tales - Week Fourteen

I lost 1.5 lbs this week for a total loss to date of...

15 pounds!

I have reached my mini-goal of 15 lbs by my brother's wedding! I am so excited and proud of myself. Not so much because of the number on the scale, but because this is the longest I have EVER stuck with a diet/exercise regimen. I think that I have been successful this time because I have not set unrealistic goals. The old me would have said, "I want to lose 15 lbs in 2 months." Then, when the weight didn't come off very fast, I would get frustrated and throw in the towel.

This time around, I gave myself a whole year to reach my goal of 30 pounds. And my mini-goal of 15 lbs in 14 weeks was not too lofty.

I'm halfway to my end goal! And I still have 38 more weeks. I don't think it will take 38 weeks to lose the other 15, but I know the hardest part will be KEEPING it off until June 9, 2009.

Some other things that have worked for me:
  • Not beating myself up when I miss a workout or eat badly. I've learned to accept that this is a lifestyle change, and it has to be a change that I can live with forever. There will be times (read: hurricanes) when it is impossible to exercise. That's OK! Just get back on the treadmill when the power comes back on, or take a walk outside. If I forget my lunch one day and I have to stop at McDonald's, that's OK!! Just order a single cheeseburger and hold the fries. You have to be able to adapt to these types of situations without giving up.

  • I can eat anything I want (in moderation). Yes, it's true! This lifestyle change means not depriving myself of anything. These are all foods that I have eaten over the past 14 weeks: stuffed mushrooms, crab au gratin, pizza, crawfish etoufee, ice cream, cheesecake, macaroni and cheese, doughnuts, beignets, gumbo, Wendy's, McDonald's, burritos, nachos, Reeces Pieces, scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage, fried bananas, beer...I could go on and on. The key? Moderation! I watch my portion sizes very closely. I eat half the amount I used to. And I try eat at least 2 out of 3 healthy meals each day.

  • Celebrate the small stuff. Having to buy a smaller belt. Giving three bags of fat clothes to social concerns. Buying a dress two sizes smaller than when I started this thing. Turning down that second helping of gumbo. It's the little things along the way that will eventually give way to celebrating the big goal.

On to week 15, and here's to losing the other 15 pounds! Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, Love! You are doing so well, and I know that you are going to meet your goal! I am here for you, and I love you!